
I play favorites with 3 simple words.
I love you.
I tell my children and my husband and my dogs that I love them quite frequently. They say it back frequently (well, not the dogs, but they do in their own way).
I don't often tell my mom that I love her. I reserve the words for when either of us is traveling for an extended period.
Why?
Now, when I start to try to unravel the mysteries of my inner brain, I start to feel like a cliche. Do I do things because my parents divorced when I was young? My dad was really unavailable emotionally, my mom raised us alone, even before they were divorced. Are all these reasons behind my emotions, my control issues, my food issues? Is it all a cliche or is that really what shaped me? I have no idea, but there's something to the cliches.
Here's what I've come up with so far - my mom did amazing things to see that my brother and I were taken care of. She sacrificed a lot and I she's a wonderful woman. Do I hold back the words because I know her love is unconditional and yet if I tell her, I'm worried that she'll be distant as my dad was? Do I hold the words back because I'm protecting myself from additional parental love lost?
Does it really matter?
I know that it's a problem, I know how to fix it. I can't wait to analyze the problem to death before I go about fixing the problem. That just wastes more time.
I love my mom. I need to tell her more often. I hear the silence in the conversation when she tells me that she loves me and I respond with a crappy "ok". Really, I say that. For no explicable reason except I can't spit the words out. That has to end. She deserves better. She's awesome.
I love my mom. I'm going to call my mom now and tell her.
Happy Monday. Have you told your loved ones today that you love them?
This week's Mamavation Monday is sponsored by Earth Footwear. Thank you!
Why?
Now, when I start to try to unravel the mysteries of my inner brain, I start to feel like a cliche. Do I do things because my parents divorced when I was young? My dad was really unavailable emotionally, my mom raised us alone, even before they were divorced. Are all these reasons behind my emotions, my control issues, my food issues? Is it all a cliche or is that really what shaped me? I have no idea, but there's something to the cliches.
Here's what I've come up with so far - my mom did amazing things to see that my brother and I were taken care of. She sacrificed a lot and I she's a wonderful woman. Do I hold back the words because I know her love is unconditional and yet if I tell her, I'm worried that she'll be distant as my dad was? Do I hold the words back because I'm protecting myself from additional parental love lost?
Does it really matter?
I know that it's a problem, I know how to fix it. I can't wait to analyze the problem to death before I go about fixing the problem. That just wastes more time.
I love my mom. I need to tell her more often. I hear the silence in the conversation when she tells me that she loves me and I respond with a crappy "ok". Really, I say that. For no explicable reason except I can't spit the words out. That has to end. She deserves better. She's awesome.
I love my mom. I'm going to call my mom now and tell her.
Happy Monday. Have you told your loved ones today that you love them?
This week's Mamavation Monday is sponsored by Earth Footwear. Thank you!