How do I motivate myself to run farther? Will it come with time?
I wasn't even really tired yesterday morning when I was running and I just wanted to stop. I got to the gym and gym buddy was there and we did the elliptical for 30 minutes. She left and I headed to the treadmill to run (I had planned to run yesterday thinking our timing wasn't going to overlap). My plan was to go 3-4 miles at an easy pace today.
I started off at 4.5 speed. I was doing fine, not even breathing too hard. But I was clock watching big time. I hit a mile and walked for a bit, then I sped up to 5.0 and was bored and finally stopped.
I know I need a goal. I'm loving the October Go the Distance Challenge I'm working on and that's helping to motivate me, and I'm on track to reach that goal. What's next? I've got my sights set on a 5K on Super Bowl Sunday, so I've got an 8 week training program for that. I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to keep up with the training since I can barely go over 3 miles at a time now. I just get bored.
Help! How do I get over this? Will starting on my training program get me going? I've got 7 weeks until I need to start the 8 week prep. Maybe I was thrown off today because I'd already worked out for 30 minutes and really hate working out for too long. Maybe it was just a bad day. I did come home and do some strength training.
Yesterday I was fighting off a sore throat, it wasn't too bad, but I woke up this morning to more of a raging sore throat. I think it's time for an easy day. My friend told me yesterday that I'm gloomy (matching the rainy So. Cal. weather). Maybe it's post-birthday party planning let down. I need to refocus on the fun stuff coming up: Mr. Math Teacher's 40th bday is next month and we've got a getaway (no kids) planned for starters.
Hey runners, how do you motivate yourself for running? What am I missing? Where's the Kool Aid?