Thursday, November 11, 2010

The "Me Movement"

There is a new movement started by the inspiring people at The Nuture Principles. I am pledging to take care of myself during the holiday season (and forever.) Here is the pledge as it was written by The Nuture Principles and my goals are set below. Check out their website for some great motivation.

"For my health and wellness, I want to put myself first this holiday season. This year will be different. I’ve made (and broken) unrealistic New Year’s “resolutions” before and this year I won’t need to repeat the cycle. I am going to take care of myself during this busy (sometimes hectic) time. If that means asking for help, saying “no”, or scheduling “down time,” I will do it. I’m done being overcommitted.
  • I pledge to remember how good it feels when I’m taking care of myself. And when I feel good, I am able to take better care of those I love.
  • I pledge to keep in mind that social situations are about the companionship, as much as the delicious food and drinks. I want to enjoy foods that look and taste good while respecting my body’s “fullness” and “satisfied” signals. I won’t judge myself if I ate “too much” of the holiday foods that don’t come around that often.
  • I pledge to stay in tune with what my body needs, whether that’s food, rest, exercise, or sleep.

My well-being is my priority. The goals below reflect the healthiest ways I know how to meet my own needs."



Here are my goals:

Goal 1: Nutrition - I will honor my hunger cues. When I go to a social function, I will satisfy my hunger and not overeat. I will not deprive myself during the days of social functions so that I can 'save up' for later. I will eat a full and balanced day. I will not 'throw the day away' when I do enjoy heavier foods so that I don't go home and stuff my face with anything that I can reach.

Goal 2: Exercise - I will continue to run every other day until my 8 week 5K training starts on 12/6. Then I will tackle the 5K Intermediate Training Program I've researched. I will continue to strength train at home for 15 minutes 3 days a week.

Goal 3: Stress Management -I will take 5 minutes every day to sit quietly with my feelings. I will practice breathing and I will say "no" to obligations that I do not have time to do.


What are your goals for taking care of yourself this holiday season? Do you agree that we can better care for others when we take care of ourselves?