How to nurse yourself back to health:
1) Eat Yummy Food
Saturday I was either laying in bed sleeping, reading or dragging my butt out of bed for some food. How weird is this sickness that I'm still hungry for regular meals? Prior times of being sick, I would
have been annoyed that this sickness didn't give me a few pounds of weight loss by not eating. This time, I've found myself trying to put together meals that I know will nourish my body. That doesn't mean I haven't looked for comfort foods. On Friday, I opened the can of pumpkin that was in the pantry and calling to me to use. I made these pumpkin scones as blogged about by Leslie at And Her Little Dog Too. Heavenly. And they've lasted through the weekend comforting me in my sicky misery. I did have some chicken soup, too.source
2) Read a Good Book
The second comfort of the weekend - a good book. I started "The Little Book" by Seldin Edwards. I love a good historical fiction novel. This one adds in time travel and amazing writing. I'm loving it. I think I read half of it on Saturday and finished it mid-day on Sunday. There were so many layers to the story, I read that it was a lifetime project for the author. I have to do some research and see what else he wrote. Fascinating book.
Next comfort requirement - my dogs. I can't imagine being miserable and sleeping all day without the warm comfort of two puppies. They rock. Even with the door closed from the rest of the family on Saturday, the dogs chose to snuggle with me. YAY!
When was the last time I was sick for 5 days? I can't remember. I'm thankful that this is just a head cold, congestion and low grade fever and my digestive system isn't affected. I hate the stomach bug! Now to rest up and regain my energy. I haven't exercised since Tuesday last week and I know my first time out will be slow going.
Reminder to self: go slowly, you've been sick, your body can't just pick right up where you left off and you can't be mad.
Happy Monday - I'm still moving slowly, but my kids have no school today so we get a low key day at home. The weather still stinks, I'm feeling like we live in the Pacific Northwest and not So. Cal. I do have Book Club tonight - YAY! I've got a recipe standing by for mint pea hummus and homemade pita chips and I might whip up some more pumpkin scones. Book Club is about the food first :-). In honor of Mamavation Mondays, I will say thank you to Subway for sponsoring with their Commit to Fit Campaign.
A side note about guilt. Mr. Math Teacher has been awesome in taking care of the kids so I can rest. On Sunday morning I was feeling better, so I got up early when Dude woke up and helped get breakfasts going and get the kids out the door to Sunday School. Then I wiped out on the couch. Was I feeling better? or was I just making up for the guilt of doing NOTHING on Saturday? I'm not sure. Maybe both? I know I shouldn't feel guilty for being sick, but isn't that what mom's do? Guilt - I hate the feeling.
What do you do to comfort yourself when you're sick? What's your favorite sick food? Do your pets comfort you? Do you feel guilty when sicky wipes you out?