I was sooo nervous. So much more than the first run. I did this one by myself and maybe I was naive the first time, so I knew what I was getting into this time?
My goal was to keep a 5.5 mph pace as best as possible. There was a nice turnout for the race (approx. 600), so there was the usual hustle for positioning in the beginning. I got settled into my spot and about 3 minutes into the race, I was dying. I started thinking "how am I going to finish, I'm already hurting". I glanced at my phone which had MapMyRun going and saw that I was running at 6.8! Ooops, that's a little much for me, no wonder. How's that for adrenaline?
I took it down quite a bit and was much better. The course was through a shopping area and we did 2 big loops and then a 3rd smaller loop. At the end of the first two loops, the course went up a decent hill for about 1/3 mile. I made it up the first time running, the 2nd time through I walked most of it. The last little bit to the finish when you broke off from the main loops was also up hill. That was hard. I did a 30 second walk before heading up the hill and then ran to the finish.
My time was 37:04. I was around 160th overall and 10th in my age group! I'm loving the 10th part. I did my first 5K in 37:49. That was hilly, but not nearly as hot. According to the official race results, my pace was 11:10, so it was a tiny bit slower than my goal of the day.
Mr. Math Teacher met me at the finish and I really felt sick. Thankfully I got a banana section and some water pretty quickly and then the feeling of needing to pass out was gone.
I saw the most beautiful runner passing me at some point, she had to be the female winner. I loved watching her long stride and appreciated the fit-ness of her body. As I was finishing my 3rd loop, I saw her and 2 men going the other way and continuing their run. I guess when you're that much of a runner, 3.2 miles isn't enough. She was amazing.
I have such a huge appreciation for people who do longer distances than 5K. Wow, you all are amazing. I was thinking about the amazing people that are doing 1/2 marathons and marathons and the training involved and it's just fantastic. Thank you for the motivation to finish this race myself. I started doing some training research last night and am looking into more of an official training regimen for my next race. Looking at the plans, I know I can significantly improve my time. Now, to find a race. My kids want to do the local Turkey Trot with me, so that won't be the time to have a new PR. But, I am really looking forward to doing a race with them.
Then, this came up... http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/southerncalifornia My best friend from high school is a huge runner and is doing this in honor of her 40th bday. She's trying to talk me into it. I have to admit, it sounds pretty cool. I already know of a conflict for the weekend, but just maybe... we'll see. Has anyone done a Ragnar race?
Happy Mamavation Monday everyone. Thank you to Subway's Commit to Fit and Jared for sponsoring Mamavation Monday.