I started working on this post a few days ago and in light of the Marie Claire article and ensuing discussion, I thought I should finish editing and get it up...
For the most part, I'm feeling amazing. I'm actually enjoying exercising and being active and fueling my body properly and everything else about my healthy life. However, the female parts of my body haven't yet figured out this new plan. Back in January, my cycles started to become irregular, and now they've stopped completely. I'm only 39, I've had my hormones tested and I'm not pre-menopausal. I guess according to MC, I've got an eating disorder, right?
I'm under the supervision of a doctor. I'd call it more like my body carried an extra 40 pounds my entire adult life and now it has to get used to functioning without that weight.
I had a period back in April that was induced medically. Sunday was day 170 of this new cycle and my first day of medication to bring on another period. It's October, this will be my 3rd period of the year. I pretty much weigh the same as I did back in January. I have been exercising more, but that's probably the only difference. When I do exercise, it usually isn't more than a one hour effort. I weigh around 122 pounds, the last non-scientific body fat calculation I did showed my body fat at around 21%, I'm just shy of 5'3" tall. I don't think I'm overdoing things, my doctor agreed.
I was at the doctor again this past Friday. An ultrasound (which I've done a few times lately) didn't show anything abnormal. We are continuing to chalk this all up to weight loss. I get the health ramifications, but a lighter note, I'm saving lots of money on feminine products. I've spoken with other people about what to do... a chiropractor suggested I gain 10 pounds. I've incorporated flax seed into my diet daily which was another suggestion.
I had been keeping a daily goal of 1,200 calories a day for the summer. There were many splurge days and I was trying to make up for them. So, I guess it wasn't 1,200 every day. A few weeks ago, I adjusted my budget to closer to 1,500 calories. Maybe that will help too. I've noticed a bit of an acne breakout and that's usually tied to my cycles. Maybe I'm on the right track. I'd love some advice from everyone, any suggestions?
I'm still new to this blogging world, and I've read so many fantastic responses to the Marie Claire article. We are responsible for our own behavior. My menstrual problems started before I started blogging, it's not the fault of the blogging community. From what I've seen, bloggers are encouraging, supportive and resourceful. If only we had such support in our 'real' lives on a daily basis, maybe we wouldn't have had health problems in the first place.
Now my goal for the month is to not let the hormones I'm taking make me go nutty. My family doesn't need to deal with antsy edgy mom this month. Yuck.