When I drink wine, I'm reminded of how much mental power it takes to consciously make good eating choices. Many times when I'm enjoying a night where I have a glass of wine (or 2), I find myself overeating. I mean overeating to the point of scrounging together random food just because. You know the times when you raid the kids' snacks and stop paying attention. Ugh.
What are the mental working behind eating that way? Do I honestly think that sugary, snacky food will never come along again? It's not like I don't treat myself. It's more of a reckless behavior. Like I'm trying to be so good that when I'm not good, I go overboard. I'm hoping that this conscious recognition of this stupid activity will help me stop it.
This past weekend I did ok. Had a nice family dinner on Saturday night. My husband made a marinated flank steak, a great salad and I made asparagus soup (no cream recipe found at Self.com), we shared some nice wine. We didn't have a dessert, the kids had some candy from the household stash and then I had a few pieces. I think I had 4 of the little bite size candies. I contemplated having a fudge bar (a little harmless 100 calorie bar, but still). Then I managed to take a step back and recognize that I was done. Yay! I walked away satisfied and not stuffed. Yay me! Baby steps... I had a few pieces of candy and then walked away.
I do enjoy a glass of wine on occasion... I hear people say that if they'd only cut back on the wine they'd lose weight. I don't think it's the wine that's the problem... it's the losing of your mental focus that goes with the wine drinking that is the bigger problem. I'm not giving it up, my goal is to recognize that I can enjoy the wine without going crazy with the food.