Sunday, September 19, 2010

I tried a new exercise routine

I saw a new idea for a workout in my Self magazine this month and I tried it yesterday. Well, I didn't actually follow it exactly, but I was close.

I started with a moderate run for 7 minutes, the suggestion was to go at a level 5 of exertion. Then I did four sets of sprints, 30 seconds at full speed, followed by 4 minutes of rest. The suggestion was complete rest, I did a bit of slow walking and didn't have the patience to rest the full 4 minutes each time, but I was close. Then I did a moderate run for 15 minutes.

Those sprints were hard. I don't usually do full speed, it felt awkward. The front of my thighs are sore today, not terribly bad, but they feel worked.

I didn't love the workout, but I'm glad I was able to mix something new into my routine that didn't take much effort to remember the plan. I hate reading about a new exercise routine and then having to remember the details when I'm away from the magazine article. This one wasn't bad.

And, according to my calculations, my two runs totaled a calorie burn of 127 calories for my 22 minutes. I didn't calculate the sprints, that total of 2 minutes at full speed was hard to interpret. In comparison to my walk today, I definitely broke a sweat and did some huffing and puffing.