Interesting thoughts today. I realized how good it felt to journal my day from yesterday. I'm the person that can say all the right things and then keep hidden that I don't follow what I say. I feel like I've added a new level of accountability to my eating habits, and I've realized that I have to be more honest with myself.
I read an article yesterday about different types of diet personalities. It's a thought that's been brewing in my head for a while. I feel like my lifetime habits have just been a form of priorities. I never put health on high on that list. It wasn't until I needed to be a good example for my kids that I started to change.
The other eating personality that I have is that I'm always hungry. I was the person who would eat breakfast and then be hungry 2 hours later. I'd have the low blood sugar shakes by lunch if I hadn't eaten. I never ever understood the advice about having a handful of nuts as a snack, that was totally inadequate for a snack for me. When I'd snack, I bet I would eat almost a meal. At the same time, I thought I was doing something good because I never skipped a meal, I always ate breakfast, etc.
Looking back on my habits now, I realized how I wasn't fueling my body. I'd eat, but not properly. I know I didn't eat enough protein and probably had way too many carbs and sugars that would leave me feeling low pretty quickly.
Taking care of myself requires me to focus on that as almost a job. It took me until I was able to realize that, to actually follow through and do it. The other chaos of my life has its place, but taking care of myself has a very important place. Now that I feel that I'm getting better at taking care of myself, I feel like I can incorporate that 'job' into my regular life and it all fits together. It's all a work in progress anyway, right?
More on other eating personalities later, but to summarize, I'm the 'always hungry, I don't have time to take care of myself person'.