I was thinking to use the word 'cheat' in the title of this post, but that doesn't seem like the right word. Maybe it should be license to snack... I don't know. Anyway, the scale has been kind to me lately. I've decided that I'm happy with the number it says (121.5). My clothes are fitting great and I've been told by several people lately that I look like I've lost more weight. Since I have a different scale now than at the beginning of the summer, I'm going to go with this being a good point to be.
Back to the hard part of maintaining. I went to a lunch today for my friend's birthday. Lunch itself was nice and balanced: spinach salad, fruit, pasta. I had appropriate portions of everything. Dessert was mini cupcakes from a fantastic bakery. I did have 2 cupcakes, I had to try the red velvet and the chocolate :-). Both were yummy and perfect.
As I was driving home, I had a major discussion with myself. I totally wanted to eat more. It was like the shackles were released from my self control because of those two tiny cupcakes. I contemplated many different ideas of another indulgence. I almost succumbed to the McDonald's drive through for a vanilla ice cream cone. Yes, not something hugely terrible, but it was totally unnecessary. I talked myself out of making that stop.
I got home and fixed myself a cup of coffee and warmed up 2 homemade pancakes that I had made yesterday. I wasn't hungry for those pancakes, I was craving something and they seemed like the least of all evils.
Most experts would have probably suggested that I go for a walk, call a friend or something like that. I didn't do any of those and caved to my craving. Why?
Why is it that when I'm losing weight, I can maintain control. When I'm maintaining (and feeling really good about myself), I lose control. It could have been worse. I did make a healthy dinner of some leftover zucchini meatloaf I had in the freezer, a salad and some homemade chicken soup.
There's something about being alone and unaccountable. I need to heed that advice of phoning a friend. My craving stopped once the kids were home from school and especially after my husband was home. Note to self: phone a friend before I sabotage my hard work.
Tomorrow we are tailgating at our favorite college football game. YAY! I just whipped up a batch of bell pepper wrap sandwiches (low fat cream cheese, goat cheese, bell peppers, spinach and some herbs). I'm going to squeeze in some exercise in the morning and I know I'll indulge on some of the food, but I'm going to have my consciences with me (my family) and plan to heed the 'everything in moderation' motto. Happy Football Season everyone.