A year or so ago, I started having a little bit of pain in my left knee. Nothing major, just a little bit unsteady. After increasing my exercise at that point, my knee hurt a bit more. I bought a knee brace and took it easy for a week or two and then went back to my typical workout. I was a bit more aware of not being so repetitive in my motions of working out and I made sure to wear my knee brace (I'm using that little strap thing) almost all the time.
I went to a chiropractor and her advice was that it was just age and loosening ligaments or tendons and she gave me some exercises to strengthen the opposite side of that knee to balance out the pressure. She said if I was a pro athlete, they'd probably surgically repair it, but I'm not, so I have to live with it. When I went to the running shoe store and had a shoe analysis done, the guy said that the turn in of that foot is probably contributing to the pain.
On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain is usually a 2-3. When I had to cut back on my exercise, it got up to about a 5. Not super painful, but also not something I wanted to get worse.
I've been running more frequently lately and now my other knee is starting to get that wobbly painful feeling. So, I bought another knee strap brace. Oh, and my left ankle hurt after running the other day, too. I'd say both pain levels were like a 4 when I'd walk. Again, I could deal with that pain, but I don't want it to get worse.
Yesterday I ran (4.5 miles!! Yay me!!) and I wore 2 knee braces and an ankle brace. Everything felt good, no pain. This morning, the ankle that wasn't braced hurt when I woke up. Seriously? I guess that one needs support now too.
The question is, am I overdoing it? or am I just approaching 40 and my joints are aging? I feel funny bracing everything, but it helps so much. I don't want to make anything worse and then not be able to exercise at this level, that wouldn't help me in any way.
The pain has gotten me thinking about excuses again. It's so interesting how everyone's pain tolerance is so different. I can live with a 4, but above that I'd probably take something for it. Below a 4 and I'll still work out. Above a 4, I'd probably take it easy. And what I call a 4 is most definitely different than another person's 4. It just makes me curious. Do people who make excuses about exercises for pain reasons have a lower pain tolerance? Is my pain tolerance typical? Are my boundaries for pain and exercise typical? I'm curious what others tolerate and would love to hear from you all.