Yesterday was one of those days, I'm definately not perfect. I took the kids on an outing to go apple picking. It was a long drive and we had a great day. The farm was a colonial themed place and we ate lunch in their themed restaurant. It was great. They had typical kids stuff, then I ordered a beef pastry thing. Not something I'd normally eat, but it was a 'when in Rome' outing. It probably would have been fine stopping there... but then I had to sample some of the homemade bread, and then proceeded to eat leftovers from my kids' plates.
Really, was that necessary? I ask myself... I forgot my most favorite mantra, "I am not a trash can." Yes, their sandwiches were on the same awesome bread, but I didn't need to eat them. Okay, so I won't beat myself up over it. And I did top it off a while later with a shared piece of fresh baked apple pie a la mode. We were in apple picking country after all.
So, it's just one of those days. I do like it if I'm going to go overboard, at least I did it at lunch and then only had a small snack late in the evening with a glass of wine. I felt okay by the end of the day, my body was ok. The scale only went up 1 lb...
Today has been a great day. We did a lot of baking of those apples, I only sampled a small muffin (we made mini muffins) and had a veggie filled salad for dinner with some beans and a drizzle of olive oil.
Back to my mantra - my biggest bad habit (that finds it's way to the surface on bad days) is finishing what my kids haven't eaten. I forget to remind myself that I am not a trash can. I have my own food/nutrition needs and need to treat myself well, not eat their leftovers. It's the one thing that reminds me that this is a continuous balance... eating well and reminding myself to do so.
So, back to not beating myself up over the bad day. It was a good day, actually. I had a fun day with my kids, we made some good memories and spent a day outside enjoy home grown fresh foods. Today balanced out the bad eating. Yay!