Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Body Image

When I was overweight in high school, I used to get so annoyed by my skinny friends who would pinch places on themselves and say, "look at my fat belly" or whatever body part they so happened to not like. I never understood how they could view themselves as fat or parts of their bodies as fat when they weren't.

Now that I've got this new, thin body, I get it. I recently put on a pair of shorts (not that the weather this summer in CA allowed for many shorts wearing days) and I looked in the mirror. I honestly didn't see a skinny person. I saw a person who had flabby thighs and probably shouldn't be wearing shorts.

I went to visit a friend that day and was telling her about my mirror image and she told me that the first thing she thought of when I walked in her house was "wow, she looks skinny."

Crazy! Two totally opposite responses to the same image.

Maybe it was just the uncovered nature of my outfit (flabby, pale thighs exposed) that reminded me of the fat person I used to be. When I look in the mirror when I'm wearing something with more coverage and I do appreciate how I look. I don't always have that negative fat girl screaming back at me.

Is it a toning problem? If I worked out those areas, would I be better? Or am I just a typical person that has body parts I don't like? Do you all have parts, no matter how skinny you may be, that you don't like? Do you dress to keep them covered at all times?

I'm pretty sure I don't feel the need to look like a magazine model and I really don't feel like I need to lose more weight to look better. I really feel like there are certain parts that should remain covered. No bikini for me and no shorts that are shorter than Bermuda length... period.