I feel like I had my big eating breakthrough when it came to breakfast. I've always eaten breakfast. But, I guess it wasn't the right breakfast for my body. I can't even remember pre-kids what I used to eat. I know as a mom, I'd have a protein bar and some coffee. Usually while walking around the house as all moms know you can't sit down to eat in the morning.
I started with making myself some scrambled egg whites in the morning. I figured that I was making lunches for my kids, I think I can multi-task enough to scramble a few egg whites at the same time. I started using a carton egg substitute for speed, but soon realized it was cheaper to buy eggs and separate them myself. I'd scramble 2 whites, add a bit of cheese, put on toast with a bit of butter. It was filling. I'd still need a morning snack around 10:00, but I usually made it to lunch without that blood sugar lull that gave me the shakes almost every day.
I slowly cut back on the breakfast, as I lost weight, I had to continue to cut my calories to keep losing. I cut out the butter on the bread, then I eliminated the cheese, then I switched to one of those thin sandwich breads that's only 50 calories a slice. It was still filling.
Now, I add some ground flax seed to the eggs and it's so very filling that I sometimes can actually skip that morning snack. Although I find it's a habit that's hard to break my mind away from wanting to eat at 10AM. If I go to the gym, I do still have a snack, but I try really hard to ask myself, "am I really hungry, or do I just expect to eat." That's when I pull out the gum or drink some water and try to get busy doing something.
Through trying different breakfast ideas, I have figured out that my body needed more protein and less sugar. I think those old breakfast bars had too much sugar and processed junk. I now alternate a bit with oatmeal, but I'm loving the way eggs get me going in the morning.
My next thoughts are about changing bad habits for good habits, or at least less harmful habits... more to come.